Monday, March 2, 2015

Into the Desert: Leading Through Lent

Okay, round two (truthfully, round three, because round two didn't save for some reason - technology?!).  In this podcast Stuart and I are exploring the challenges of  leading folks into Lent.  We agree that there is a fine line between emotional manipulation, being a hypocrite, "doing" Lent and leading folks towards the Holy.  On a good day we are aware of the line between all these factors. On a bad day, we become competitive and let the church programs do the leading.  We continue to ask the the question: why do what we do (or don't do) during Lent?  Fear not, even though it's Lent we continue to bring the laughter, humor and joy that is the backdrop to our friendship and this podcast.  So sit back and enjoy our banter back and forth as we struggle not only with our role in leading Lent, but in our own struggle to find the holy in the midst of our role as priests.

Episode 2 Into the Desert - Podcast Link


You Tube Link


1 comment:

  1. Stuart here: Not growing up with Lent, I remember how excited I was to first be able to observe it. Is "excited" the right word? There was something about the intentionality, the immediacy of it all...a realness that went beyond what I had experienced. I saw that "my religion" needed to be grounded much more in practice than in....what it had been.

    But I still struggle in Lent. Probably always will...I hope so. Who wants to go into the desert, into the wilderness? Any "want" we have to do this can't be rooted in our ego, because that is stripped away once we're there.

    And how to guide folks into this? How to invite them, even as we ourselves are invited...drawn...


    The grocery clerk Rhonda, at Publix, asked me why I was there tonight shopping. "You're usually here on Friday mornings!" I told her it was a busy week, so I needed to get here tonight to get stuff in order. I was shocked by the words that came out of my mouth: "It's Lent, you know. So I don't have as much time during the week to do errands and stuff."


    Wow.

    ReplyDelete